Monday, January 10, 2011

Movin' on up

















Jeans Jeans Jeans has moved out of the cave and up to street level but Borys Fridman doesn't want anyone to think they've gone high-end.

"We kept the floor as is," he says, indicating the faded white lines on the concrete floor of what was once a parking garage. "Not too fancy!"

The new store still feels like a warehouse but it's 2500 square feet bigger than the old basement. There's actually room to move between the racks of jeans.

Borys has posted arrows around the block pointing the way to the new spot on Casgrain north of St. Viateur. The placards are like the signs for a special event, or a movie set.

Jeans Jeans Jeans is its own scene.















The place is full of shoppers and toddlers, babies, boyfriends, moms and dads. The staff is running in all directions carrying armloads of jeans to customers and Borys seems to be everywhere at once, talking to everybody.

"It's crazy," he says happily. He finds my dad the perfect pair of jeans in 30 seconds.

"They're the best. They always come up with what we need," says one woman who's here from Laval with her husband on their semi-annual JJJ shopping trip.

There are more fitting rooms now, including a mom-sized one big enough to accommodate a stroller. There's an efficient new ticketing system for picking up your hemmed jeans at the circular counter where the cash register is.















But there's still nowhere to hide. There's the same stark fluorescent lighting and you still have to step out of the fitting room to see your jeans in the mirror.

And when you do, Borys and the Jeans Jeans Jeans staff will still look at you and declare: "You need to go a size smaller in those."

And, if you disagree, they'll still smile and shrug patiently, as if to humour you, even if they know better than you ever could about what is what in the world of jeans.

New place, same assertive service.

*

Jeans Jeans Jeans
5575 Casgrain

see original post on Jeans Jeans Jeans

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I think we all just like saying Jeans Jeans Jeans! I like that your Dad even goes there...

Anonymous said...

Does anyone know what happened to "Pantalons Supérieurs" ?

Sarah Gilbert said...

Pantalons Supérieurs is still there -- down on Ste Catherine E.

Anonymous said...

Thank you Sarah !

Anonymous said...

FIRST TIME HERE...AND I AM ONE OF THE PICKIEST PEOPLE EVER WHEN IT COMES TO SHOPPING....AS SOON AS I WALKED IN THE DOOR A GUY NAME LEO STARTED HELPING ME...HE GUESS MY SIZE RIGHT OFF THE BAT AND WAS RIGHT HE LOOKED AT WHAT I WAS WEARING AND KNEW MY STYLE RIGHT OFF THE BAT...IM 36 AND BEEN BUYING MY OWN CLOTHES SINCE I WAS 16 AND IN 20 YEARS I HAVE NOT HAD A BETTER TIME SHOPPING THAN HERE...THE SALESMAN LEO WAS THE :MAN: I COULDNT BELEIVE THE SERVICE I GOT...IF I DIDNT LIKE A PAIR HE WAS RIGHT BACK WITH 2 MORE FOR ME TO TRY ON....I CANT SAY ENOUGH...IT WAS AMAZING...I WILL ONLY BE BUYING FROM HERE UNTIL THE DAY I DIE...AND I WILL RECCOMENED EVERYONE I KNOW THATS FOR SURE...EVERYONE SHOULD GO YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT...ALSO EVEN THE GIRL THAT HEMMED MY PANTS FOR CUTTING WAS DEAD ON..AND THE SEAMSTRESS CUT THEM PERFECT...THEY EVEN LOAN ME A PAIR OF JEANS TO WEAR WHILE I HAD A SMOKE OUTSIDE AS THEY HEMMED MY OTHER JEANS EVEN THO I DID NOT BUY THEM THERE....ALL 10,S GUYS ..KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK.
TONY